1.04.2012

Goal Reflection from 2011, Happy New Year!

I will just go ahead and say it.

2011 (kinda, sorta) kicked my butt!

It seems like the last few months were a whirlwind that I thought I had planned for, and was (at least somewhat) prepared for. While it wasn’t quite as crazy as it could have been had I not planned for it, it was pretty crazy! What a year!!

So many good things have come out of the chaos of our life, though. So many things I thank God for everyday…

• A new job for John. After almost a month at training across the country in March and April and since then spending many extra hours learning the ropes, he is settling nicely into his position. While he has been working in this field for several years, this position has raised the bar for him.

• Steady growth to my photography hobby/business. I feel SO blessed by the support of friends, family, and the new clients I have had the pleasure of working with over the past year. I am looking forward to working with everyone again in 2012, growing and learning even more in the coming year. I stopped several times over the past few months and reflected on how truly lucky I am to be doing something that I LOVE.

• A new dog! Toby hasn’t exactly created chaos, although he has definitely added something to our little family. As he lays here at my feet while I type this, I realize how much he has become a part of our family and how much his wonderful demeanor and presence really fit and clicks with us. What an answer to a prayer! (I was a little more than worried about adding a dog to our household.)

• A new gig for me. For several months, I had been throwing around the idea of getting my name out there to watch a baby a few days a week. Not exactly a ‘daycare’ situation, but a few days a week or few hours a day to make a little extra. It is amazing how God knew my heart and provided an opportunity for me to watch a sweet baby girl starting last month. So far, it is working out well!

• Happy, healthy kids! Ahh, school, dance, soccer, homework, carnivals, class parties, etc!! Gotta love it!

Needless to say, these, among other things have caused the abrupt stop to last January’s goal of blogging for 365 days. What a bummer! I do not feel as though my efforts were a complete fail. I did realize through the seven months that I did manage to blog, that I LOVE having this record of our life. There are many wonderful things that blogging does. I liked having to make that post everyday because it made me reflect and keep on top of editing my own family photos and happenings. I am planning on attempting this project again this year. Yes, I am already late… but I would rather start today than tomorrow or the next day.

As for the other goals I had on my list of resolutions from last year, I (we) made some progress. Some things from the list that got accomplished…

• Family - Created a family schedule area, a cleaning plan, and schedules for the girls (girl’s schedule is made but hasn’t been put into effect yet).

o Other goals included a chore chart which hasn’t happened yet.

• Working out - I can’t exactly call this a complete success, but I didn’t fail either. For many weeks I averaged 2 workouts per week. Although I didn’t lose weight… I managed to stay within a 5 pound range for most of the year.

• Reading – I read 3 fiction and 1 self-help book last year. Missed the ‘classic’. (All three in the Hunger Games series, The Fred Factor)

• House- the only thing we managed to do on our house projects list from last year was to get Claire a daybed and some storage. We did do SEVERAL other house projects that weren’t on the list.

o Other projects on the list: paint 2 areas of the house and the pergola, make a stoneware and cast iron rack, finish the wall décor in Hannah’s room, epoxy the garage floor, and mulch the flower beds. (Prioritizing some financial needs caused us to change to a few different projects.)

• Financial- Unfortunately, 2011 was not the year for us to take control of our finances. I am optimistic for 2012 (goals to follow).

o 2011 Goals included: Creating a budget, pay of existing debt, no new debt, and using the cash system

• Projects- Completed several. The list changed as the year progressed.

• Photos- Organize, back up, print. Yes, yes, and sort of! ;-)


I will be recapping the happenings of 2011 on another post, and sharing my excitement for the events of the coming year - A new brother-in-law is at the top of the list!!! - I am also working on some new goals for 2012... YAY for new starts!!

Happy New Year! (plus four days)

No comments: