1.17.2013

Gone with the Wind




"There was a land of Cavaliers and Cotton Fields called the Old South... Here in this pretty world Gallantry took its last bow... Here was the last ever to be seen of Knights and their Ladies Fair, of Master and of Slave... Look for it only in books, for it is no more than a dream remembered. A Civilization gone with the wind..."

I honestly don't think of myself as much of a reader.  I read.  Usually to keep up with pop culture... but I don't necessarily always have a book on my nightstand or hide a Kindle in my purse.  
I made a New Year's Resolution back in 2011 to read three books: One self help, one for fun, and one of the "classics".  My friend lent me Gone with the Wind to satisfy the latter of those three categories.  I had never watched the movie or heard the story aside from the famous "I don't give a damn!" quote... needless to say, it was a tough read when compared to the ease of reading The Hunger Games series around that same time and I gave up.  
Here we are, two years later and I decided to give it another go.  I told myself that even if I read 10 pages per night I would make it through the daunting 1,035 pages by sometime in the summer.  Ha!
Well, that sure didn't work because I got really into it, couldn't put it down, and finished it by January 11... not much else got done, but I have completed a two year old goal!  Whoop!
Like most wonderful literature, Gone with the Wind swept me away to a world I knew little about , in this case - The Old South.  As much as I loved the story surrounding Scarlet O'Hara and Rhett Butler, I was even more enthralled by the story being told from the perspective of the Confederacy during the Civil War.  It is interesting how even 150+ years later we still struggle with similar social and political problems and people can act the same now as they did then.  

Bottom line:  Loved it.  If you haven't read it, you should.  

  

No comments: