9.02.2011

90 Years Young

The year was 1921... yes you read that right NINETEEN TWENTY ONE.  That means that when my Grandmother was my age, it was 1951.  I can only pray that the longevity gene was passed to me, becuase today my dear Grandma Mardette turns 90 years young.  She has had a wonderful, long life full of love, and laughter, and I am sure a few tears.  She and my Grandpa were married 65 (Carrie, if I am wrong here let me know) years after knowing each other only six weeks before getting married, she was a nurse in the Army during World War II, she continued to be a nurse after the war and raised her three girls in Cincinnati, Ohio, she loves all things shoes, and to this day loves getting gussied up!  I wish I knew all the wonderful things she remembers about the last several decades.

Last weekend we were priveledged to celebrate her 90 years so far at my Aunt's house with a small group of family and friends.  It was a lovely evening, complete with a dinner of Grandma's choosing - chicken, potatoes, sweet potatoes, spinach salad, fruit salad, homemade rolls, and Texas sheet cake!

Grandma was very concerned that we all get to eating dinner soon after we arrived and wanted to make sure all the kids in attendance were having a good time. :-)


 Many family and friends from across the country sent cards, photos, and best wishes...
 Here is Grandma with her three beautiful daughters...

And here are three (of the six) granddaughters with the three great granddaughters...

This is Grandma, Grandpa (who went home to be with the Lord almost two years ago), and me on my Wedding day over seven years ago.  Unfortunately some health problems have slowed Grandma down over the past several years, however she is still very spry and aware of the family and friends around her.



1 comment:

Kelly said...

LOVE this! What a great heritage you have :)